Wednesday, May 4, 2016

HAUL x FIRST IMPRESSIONS | Kiko Milano

Alright guys, don't judge, but up until a few weeks ago, I had no idea that Kiko was an Italian brand. I had always thought, assumed, that it was Japanese (I didn't know the full brand name was Kiko Milano), and thought to myself, ain't nobody got time to hunt around for those! Then cue my trip to Amsterdam, when I chanced upon one of their glorious stores near Dam Square.


I've only heard positive things about this brand, so naturally I took full advantage and tested out pretty much every single thing they carried in the store. After two hours, I walked out of the store with just six products - that shows restraint and discipline, my friends. Trust me, I could've filled my entire backpack with Kiko products.

Extra Sculpt Volume Mascara | Long Lasting Stick 38 | Natural Concealer 04 | Gossamer Emotion Creamy Lipstick in 107 Mocaccino | Gossamer Emotion Creamy Lipstick in 109 Amaranth | Glossy Dream Sheer Lipstick in 204 Warm Rose

The first thing I gravitated towards were the lipsticks - look at that packaging! The pictures don't do them justice, guys. You press the button on top and the lipstick bullet comes out of the casing, you then twist and apply, and snap it back into the casing until you hear that satisfying click. Ugh, so gorgeous, I can't get over it.

Gossamer Emotion Creamy Lipstick in 107 Mocaccino | Gossamer Emotion Creamy Lipstick in 109 Amaranth | Glossy Dream Sheer Lipstick in 204 Warm Rose

Gossamer Emotion Creamy Lipstick in 107 Mocaccino €10.90 
This was the first color I swatched on my hands, a pretty mauve pink - boring, I know - but I'm a sucker for these neutral shades. All these lipsticks are super creamy and apply like a dream, and smell a bit like vanilla cupcakes. Mmmm.

Gossamer Emotion Creamy Lipstick in 109 Amaranth €10.90
Now this shade just screams my name, but I had to resist and instead picked this up for my sister. As someone who doesn't own too much makeup, I thought this would be a flattering and wearable berry shade to have in her collection. The more I look at it, the more I wish I had picked up one for myself too. Sigh. 

Glossy Dream Sheer Lipstick in 204 Warm Rose €10.90 
As soon as I saw the word glossy in the name, I knew my mom would prefer this formula over the other ones - she loves lipsticks with a bit of moisture and shine. This is quite similar in color to my shade 107, but glossier (duh) and a bit more sheer.  

And because two of these were gifts for my mom and sister, I actually thought ahead and swatched the testers in the store instead of having to swatch their gifts. Give yourself a pat on the back, Shirley. Well done.

107 Mocaccino | 109 Amaranth | 204 Warm Rose

Extra Sculpt Volume Mascara | Long Lasting Stick 38 | Natural Concealer 04

Extra Sculpt Volume Mascara €8.90 
I distinctly remember Kathleen from KathleenLights (gorgeous human being, btw) raving about this because she declared it her favorite mascara of all time. That's huge! I've tried it a handful of times so far, and unfortunately I can't say the same for myself. The biggest gripe I have about this is the size of the wand - it's massive. I can't apply mascara without getting it on my eyelids, but maybe that's just an issue with my eye shape. Formula-wise, it's nice and buildable, and my lashes do end up looking quite voluminous. However, it does smudge on me by the end of the day, so I would suggest going for the waterproof version if you want to give it a try. 

Long Lasting Stick in 38 Golden Taupe €6.90 
These long lasting eyeshadow sticks were calling out to me in the store, and I tried really hard to venture out with a shade that I didn't already own. I failed. This shade is a gorgeous taupe-y brown with flecks of shimmer, and I wore it out to dinner that very night after the haul and there was no creasing and smudging whatsoever. A winner.

Natural Concealer 04 €5.50
Since color correcting has been all the rage lately, I decided to try this green concealer to help with the minor redness around my nose and to cover up blemishes. I'm happy to report that it's working great so far! I dab a bit on my problem areas, slightly blend it out, then apply foundation on top of it. Flawless.
Long Lasting Stick 38 Swatched | Blended out | Natural Concealer 04 Swatched | Blended out

Wait, I'm not finished! While playing around with the Golden Taupe eyeshadow stick, I found that it looked suspiciously similar to the Urban Decay 24 Hour Eyeshadow Pencils in Juju and Rehab that I had just mentioned in my April Favorites. Lo and behold, they are 99.9% exact dupes (which confirms I did indeed fail, miserably). Golden Taupe can look exactly like Juju or Rehab, depending on the light. In fact, the best way to put it would be if Juju and Rehab had a baby, it would be Golden Taupe. Everything from the shimmery finish to the lasting power is the exact same. Can I get a woot-woot?! I love discovering dupes!

Urban Decay JuJu | Kiko Golden Taupe 38 | Urban Decay Rehab

Hope you enjoyed this haul! Let me know what your favorite Kiko Milano products are!

PS. Just found out, after writing this post, that Kiko Milano is available in Hong Kong. Oops. So if you also live here and want to give these a try, there are stores in Time Square and Harbour City!

No comments:

Post a Comment