Thursday, June 9, 2016

REVIEW | Bourjois Healthy Mix Foundation x Healthy Mix Serum Foundation

I can't exactly remember where or when I picked up my first bottle of the Bourjois Healthy Mix Serum Foundation - it might have been during one of my dad's marathon excursions in France a few years back - but I will always remember, this being my first liquid foundation ever, that I properly freaked out 'cos it was so, so good. I knew right away that I had to also try out the original Bourjois Healthy Mix Foundation as well, and I've been using both religiously ever since. If you have ever considered buying either one of these foundations and never could make up your mind, this post is for you.
REVIEW | Bourjois Healthy Mix Foundation x Healthy Mix Serum Foundation

Fun fact - did you know that Bourjois dates back to 1863? Their very first products were waxy makeup sticks specially made for theatre, and their website shows you the brand's full history and how their products have evolved over the years. So cool. I'm pretty sure Bourjois products are available mainly in the UK and Europe - I've never come across them in the states - but I have occasionally seen items available on ASOS and Amazon. I've come to find that most Sasa stores here in Hong Kong also have a small Bourjois section, which is super exciting but also super dangerous for my wallet. 

I'm just going to preface this review by saying that both of these foundations are bloody fantastic. I've used them for about three years now, and I've never, ever been disappointed. So if you don't feel like reading a long, rambling post about how amazing these are, you can stop here. But if you do want more of the dirty details, we're going to get into that right now.

Bourjois Healthy Mix Serum Foundation 52 Vanilla
Bourjois Healthy Mix Serum Foundation
£10.99 from Boots | Currently $137 HKD from ASOS
30ml | 6 shades

Bourjois Healthy Mix Foundation 52 Vanilla and 53 Light Beige
Bourjois Healthy Mix Foundation
£9.99 from Boots | Currently $125 HKD from ASOS
30ml | 8 shades

A quick gander on the Bourjois website and you'll see that both of these foundations make a lot of claims. In a nutshell, they both aim to even out the complexion, give your skin a radiance boost, and last up to 16 hours. The serum foundation is supposed to erase imperfections and give you "an instant anti-fatigue result", whereas the original foundation claims to give you a more flawless and luminous effect. To me, all that mumbo jumbo is just fancy wording and they both do pretty much the same thing.

First things first - both foundations come with a pump. Yipee! The serum version is in a sleek, taller plastic tube whereas the original comes in a heavier glass bottle. Both foundations are enriched with a fruit therapy formula aimed to enhance the complexion - the serum version contains lychee, goji berries and pomegranate to provide instant anti-fatigue results, while the original contains apricot, melon and apple for radiance, hydration and protection. To me, both smell exactly the same - a pleasant, refreshing fruity scent that is not at all off-putting. For those of you making the fragrance = breakouts connection, Bourjois claims that these are hypoallergenic and dermatologically tested, so don't write them off just yet - give it a try!

In terms of texture, the serum version has a light, runny gel consistency while the original is much thicker and creamier. They both apply and blend very easily, but the serum does seem to glide better on my skin and feels that much lighter on the face. The serum foundation offers light to medium coverage, and I find it gives the skin more of a radiant, luminous quality, whereas the original is more buildable and offers a solid medium to full coverage, and has more of a semi-matte finish.

Although the original is supposed to be catered towards more oily skin, and the serum for more dry skin, I find that they both feel comfortable and wear the same on my oily-combination skin. Neither foundation settles into my pores or fine lines as the day goes on, and while I do get a bit shiny in the T-zone and have to blot throughout the day - like always - both foundations are quite long-lasting and doesn't seem to fade until after eight, nine, sometimes even ten hours. If I have to nitpick, however, I will say the original seems to last an hour or two longer.

I have the Healthy Mix Serum Foundation in 52 Vanilla, and the Healthy Mix Foundation in both 52 Vanilla and 53 Light Beige. Both Vanilla shades are a great match for me, although I find the original oxidizes just a touch. 53 Light Beige is considerably darker and is a good match for my summer tan.

Swatches - Healthy Mix Serum Foundation in 52 Vanilla | Healthy Mix Foundation in 52 Vanilla | Healthy Mix Foundation in 53 Light Beige
Healthy Mix Serum Foundation in 52 Vanilla | Healthy Mix Foundation in 52 Vanilla | Healthy Mix Foundation in 53 Light Beige

There you have it. Two wonderful bases that are, hands down, my favorite drugstore foundations and definitely in my top five favorite foundations of all time. That's saying a lot! The formula of these are truly amazing, and you are getting high-end quality at an affordable drugstore price. The only issue I have is, again, with the limited shade range. Sigh.

Now, if you told me that I had to pick my favorite out of the two, it would have to be the Healthy Mix Serum Foundation, solely because of my preference for the lighter consistency and more natural coverage for an everyday look.

So, if you're into lighter coverage, weightless foundations - meaning you want good looking skin but would still like to have your gorgeous freckles peeking through - get the Healthy Mix Serum Foundation. If you're more into full coverage foundations that give you a flawless canvas while still feeling comfortable on the face, then get the original Healthy Mix Foundation. You can really do no wrong with either one.

Or, you can be like me and get both! Because they're both amazing and a girl can never have too many foundations.. right?

No comments:

Post a Comment