Monday, May 23, 2016

REVIEW | Chantecaille Just Skin Anti-Smog Tinted Moisturizer SPF 15

Every morning for the past two weeks, I have been blindly reaching for the same base to help the situation on my face, and that would be the Chantecaille Just Skin Anti-Smog Tinted Moisturizer SPF 15. This was one of those iconic products that I had lusted after forever (side-eyeing it after time I passed by their counters), but held off on purchasing due to the hefty price tag. Last Christmas, I decided it was finally time - thank the holidays - to bite the bullet and see just what all the fuss was about.

REVIEW | Chantecaille Just Skin Anti-Smog Tinted Moisturizer SPF 15
Chantecaille Just Skin Anti-Smog Tinted Moisturizer SPF 15
50g, 1.7oz | 7 Shades

Chantecaille describes this as a lightweight tinted moisturizer that has anti-irritant, antioxidant and antipollution properties to protect the skin from free radicals, smog and the sun. It aims to provide excellent coverage and smooth fine lines while locking in the skin's moisture, and is suitable for sensitive skin. Not going to lie, don't exactly know how all that anti-whatever works (or how to test those claims out) but it all sounds great and dandy! So how good is it really?

First and foremost, I have to say that this has one of, if not the best texture of any base I've ever tried. It's so incredibly creamy and velvety - to the point where it feels more like applying a face cream - and truly blends seamlessly into the skin, perfecting the face without looking like you have anything on. Just skin. To whoever named this product - bravo, you were spot-on. Now, keep in mind that the coverage is sheer to light, so it's definitely catered to those who have quite good skin to begin with, and not for problematic skin or medium to full coverage junkies. The shade I got matched to, Vanilla, oxidizes ever so slightly, but it isn't at all noticeable on the face. This applies smoothly with just the finger tips, while using a brush gives a touch more coverage. I find that this lasts a good five, six hours on my face before starting to fade, but I do get shiny in the T-zone after just two hours, especially with the lovely Hong Kong humidity. 

I picked my tube up at Lane Crawford for $670 HKD (which translates to $86 USD), so it works out to be a tad cheaper if you get it in the states. You do get 1.7oz of product as opposed to the standard 1oz, but still, dang! The ultimate question is, do I think this is worth the splurge?

My answer is.. it really depends! Here's the deal - if you enjoy a creamy, smooth base that offers light coverage and an effortless, luminous finish (and you don't mind treating yo'self) then you will absolutely adore this. For those of you who simply can't justify the eye-watering price tag but want something similar, then might I suggest trying out the bareMinerals Complexion Rescue ($29.5), NARS' Pure Radiant Tinted Moisturizer ($44) or Laura Mercier's Tinted Moisturizer ($44). Although none of these are able to exactly duplicate the same velvety consistency, all three give a very similar finish - dewy, radiant skin at a considerably cheaper price point. Out of the three, I would say NARS has the most comparable texture, and bareMinerals the most similar, dewy finish. 

And not to keep rambling on - but I'm gonna - there are two issues I have with this. The first is the flat out awful shade range. Eyebrow raise. The second is with the SPF - what in the heck am I going to do with an SPF of 15? That might as well be SPF 0 in my books. But I find that pairing this with my trusty Kiehl's Ultra Light Daily UV Defense Sunscreen SPF 50 PA++++ underneath negates the "just skin" effect that it's going for. For now, I've resorted to wearing this around the house or at night (the SPF doesn't seem to give me a white cast as it should in theory). But for the moolah I've shelled out for this baby (and the beautiful finish it gives to the face), I should be able to wear this all day and parade my face around. Sigh.

REVIEW | Chantecaille Just Skin Anti-Smog Tinted Moisturizer SPF 15 - Shade Vanilla
Swatched | Blended out

So unless you fancy a bit of a splurge and want to experience that creamy texture and naturally radiant, "I-have-amazing-skin-cos-I-drink-eight-cups-of-water-everyday" finish (and you trust all the wonderful skin-benefiting claims), then I would say you could live without this Chantecaille Tinted Moisturizer. Am I happy I bought this? Heck yes. Will I run out and repurchase this when it's finished? For now, probably not. I am more than content with my current collection of tinted moisturizers, but, if you catch me in a spendy mood (which is quite often, unfortunately), I can't guarantee that I won't be spotted lurking by the Chantecaille counters. 

1 comment:

  1. useful information on topics that plenty are interested on for this wonderful post.Admiring the time and effort you put into your b!..Best Daily Moisturizer with SPF

    ReplyDelete