Saturday, July 23, 2016

REVIEW | Mansur Gavriel Lady Bag

Ladies and gentleman, welcome to my very first fashion-related post - and an incredibly exciting one at that! Introducing the newest addition to my bag collection... drum roll please. Let's all take a moment and soak in the gloriousness that is my new Mansur Gavriel Lady Bag. -squeals-

REVIEW | Mansur Gavriel Lady Bag in Cammello/Antico
Mansur Gavriel Lady Bag
Italian Vegetable Tanned Leather in Cammello/Antico
$895USD

As someone who is fervently into the minimalist aesthetic - in both beauty and fashion - I see Mansur Gavriel as minimalism at its finest. Clean lines, simple shapes, quality leather. So much yes. You fellow bag fanatics out there will know that Mansur Gavriel bags are hard to come by - they're never on sale and always out of stock. I was one of the lucky few that snagged one during their website restock at the end of March. $895USD later (plus a $75USD international shipping fee, ouch), this bad boy landed on my doorstep.


REVIEW | Mansur Gavriel Lady Bag in Cammello/Antico

First off, I have to preface this by saying that this is not my first MG bag - last fall, I got my hands on the highly coveted (and mania-inducing) Mansur Gavriel Bucket Bag in Black/Ballerina that I absolutely, head over heels, adore to pieces. It's become my everyday bag for all occasions, and none of my other bags have gotten much love ever since. Oops. But when I laid eyes on the ads for the Lady Bag, my heart skipped a beat and I knew I needed it in my life. To me, the Bucket Bag is chic and effortless, whereas the Lady Bag exudes sophistication and elegance - especially in this Cammello color. Your girl had to have both!

REVIEW | Mansur Gavriel Lady Bag
Image from Mansur Gavriel

Size |
The Lady Bag comes in three different sizes - the Large Lady Bag, the Lady Bag, and the Mini Lady Bag. I wanted a size that was practical, yet wouldn't look awkward on my 5'5 frame. I chose to go with the middle size (with the dimensions of 10.5" H x 13.5" W x 5" D) and it fits me perfectly. It's super roomy - it fits my 13" Macbook Pro, my essentials including my wallet, makeup bag, sunglasses, and a few other knickknacks. I love how this bag comes with a top handle as well as a cross-body strap, making it very versatile for any look or occasion. The cross-body strap is adjustable, and I am able to stand upright and reach into the bottom of my bag when it's adjusted to the shortest setting. Yessss. I'm so not a fan of that awkward length when you have to clumsily prop your bag on your leg or a nearby ledge just to dig out what you need. 

REVIEW | Mansur Gavriel Lady Bag in Cammello/Antico
REVIEW | Mansur Gavriel Lady Bag in Cammello/Antico
REVIEW | Mansur Gavriel Lady Bag in Cammello/Antico

Color |
This bag comes in a whopping 16 different colors, ranging from black to greens to reds to pastels and neutrals. One of the many aspects that makes Mansur Gavriel unique is that you can also choose the interior color and customize your very own color combination. Many people find that they can choose a neutral, wearable shade for the outside, and be a little risky and go for that pop of color on the inside. I am still a minimalist at heart and went for neutrals for both. There is not a chance that you won't find a color combination that tickles your fancy!

REVIEW | Mansur Gavriel Lady Bag
Image from Mansur Gavriel

Leather |
There are two leather options for the Lady Bag (in addition to a canvas alternative), which includes the Vegetable Tanned Leather, which is stiff and untreated, and Calf Coated, which is smooth and softer in texture. The reason I went with Vegetable Tanned Leather (for both my MG bags) is because I love the natural, personable quality of the leather as well as the fact that it is stiffer and will never lose its structure. (I've also heard rumblings that the Calf Coated has a strong, funky leather smell. Not into that). The interior comes either raw or matte patent coated, and I chose the latter since it is much more durable and won't have the risk of shedding like the raw finish. Not to mention, with the coated option you get to pick a contrasting interior color!

REVIEW | Mansur Gavriel Lady Bag
REVIEW | Mansur Gavriel Lady Bag
Pre-scratched

Now, I have to admit something - I have only used this bag once since I hauled it. I know, it's an absolute crime. But hear me out! First of all, my bag already came pre-scratched. The horror! Ok, it wasn't too upsetting, but when I first took it out of its dust bag, I noticed a few minor scratches on the front of the bag as well as around the corners. I knew then and there that the light tan color of this bag, unlike my black Bucket Bag, would not be kind to scratches and scrapes. And the thought of marking up this beautiful creation made me too anxious to actually use it. Silly right?! I knew exactly how this type of leather would behave when I bought it, but just had preconceived notions that it would hold up as well as my Bucket Bag has. When I took this bag out for a spin that one time, I had to physically huddle over it and shield it from the world - especially in tight, crowded areas - like the offensive line protecting the quarterback. Wait, is that the right analogy? I don't even know football. Anyway, my tip for those of you who want something more practical and less delicate, is to go for a darker color or opt for the Calf Coated version. 

Since I personally prefer the look and feel of the vegetable tanned leather, I just have to keep reminding myself that while this does (and will) easily scuff, and scratches are inevitable, they will just add character and personality to the bag. That's right, I'm going to keep telling myself that. Like Mansur Gavriel eloquently states regarding their vegetable tanned leather, "it is warm, it is strong, and it is personal". Amen.


Mansur Gavriel Lady Bag in Cammello/Antico, Mansur Gavriel Bucket Bag in Black/Ballerina
Lady Bag in Cammello/Antico | Bucket Bag in Black/Ballerina

I hope y'all enjoyed my first fashion post! I really, really love my new Mansur Gavriel Lady Bag, and I trust that it - along with my Mansur Gavriel Bucket Bag - will remain classic and timeless pieces in my wardrobe. Minimalism for the win!

1 comment:

  1. Women Minibags are a modern style essential, adding a touch of chic and versatility to your outfit while keeping things compact.

    ReplyDelete