Sunday, July 10, 2016

SAMPLE SUNDAY | NARS All Day Luminous Weightless Foundation x Yves Saint Laurent Touche Éclat Radiant Touch

It's all about luminous, radiant makeup for this week's Sample Sunday! Overhyped, or worth the hype? Let's check it out!

Sample Sunday | NARS All Day Luminous Weightless Foundation x Yves Saint Laurent Touche Éclat Radiant Touch

NARS All Day Luminous Weightless Foundation |
One of my favorite foundations of all time is the NARS Sheer Glow Foundation - it's so, so good and seriously worth every stinkin' penny - so needless to say my expectations were through the roof for their new oil-free foundation that claims to deliver full, natural coverage with just one drop for 16 hours. You read that right. The texture is extremely fluid and watery, but it still packs a punch in terms of coverage since it's uber pigmented. This shade Deauville (Light 4) matches my face perfectly. I was initially really bummed out by the finish - it seemed to emphasize all the dry patches around my nose, my chin and even on my cheeks - but I've discovered that this is one of those bases that looks better as the day goes on. The cakiness goes away once you give it time to interact with your skin's natural oils. While it definitely doesn't last 16 hours - it's more like ten - I am impressed at how truly weightless and breathable this feels on the face. But do I like this more than Sheer Glow? No - it's trickier to blend and work with over drier skin. I found that it also easily transfers onto clothes (and my hands) which is a tad frustrating. Overall, I think it loses out to Sheer Glow in every possible aspect (some by just a smidge) and I don't see myself needing this in my collection. Sheer Glow is always the way to go.

Sample Sunday | NARS All Day Luminous Weightless Foundation - Deauville Light 4 Swatch
Swatched | Blended out

Yves Saint Laurent Touche Éclat Radiant Touch |

The Touche Éclat is one of those iconic products that every beauty lover has (or has once had) in their makeup arsenal. Except me. Touted as both a highlighter and a concealer, this YSL cult favorite claims to do everything - erase fatigue, highlight features, conceal dark circles, add radiance, lighten dark spots and so on. YSL even claims that one is sold somewhere in the world every ten seconds! Fo real?! I tried Shade 2 in Luminous Ivory, catered for fair to light complexions with yellow undertones, and applied it on the tops of my cheekbones, on the bridge of my nose, on the inner and outer corners of my eyes and around my mouth. As a highlighter, it works really well - it blends seamlessly into the skin and adds a natural luminosity and radiance. As a concealer, it's not the best - this product is definitely a radiance-over-coverage situation. My first impression of this was simply 'That's it?' and I just can't seem to justify the $42USD price tag for a little brightening and highlighting action that can be duped by more affordable options - Maybelline Dream Lumi, L'oreal Magic Lumi and Clinique Airbrush Concealer just to name a few. Sure, this will probably get the job done better, and if you fancy a splurge, go right ahead! All in all, it is indeed a good product. As for myself, I will not be spending my hard earned moolah on this not-as-magical-as-I-thought golden pen. Sorry YSL.

Sample Sunday | Yves Saint Laurent Touche Éclat Radiant Touch - Luminous Ivory Shade 2 - Swatch
Swatched | Blended out

So it looks like I won't be adding any new makeup to my collection this week. Ah, shucks...

No comments:

Post a Comment