Tuesday, May 23, 2017

REVIEW | Innisfree No-Sebum Mineral Powder

Sweater weather is officially over in Hong Kong, and it's now been replaced with unbearableinsufferable humidity. Yuck! The warmer climate has not been doing my oily combination skin any favors, obviously - my face is getting so greasy so fast, and it seems my beloved Laura Mercier Translucent Powder just isn't cutting it. So my desperation to rein in that shine ultimately led me to picking up the Innisfree No-Sebum Mineral Powder, and I'm finally ready to give y'all my thoughts!

REVIEW | Innisfree No-Sebum Mineral Powder
Innisfree No-Sebum Mineral Powder
$7USD at Innisfree
5g | 1 shade

As some of you may recall, I did a review on the Innisfree Long Wear Cushion SPF 50 last year and commended the brand's eco-friendly approach to all their products and packaging. This time around, I noticed that even my receipt was printed on recyclable paper. Sweet!

I was told by the sales associate that the No-Sebum Mineral Powder is one of their best sellers, and with a name like no-sebum I just had to try it out for myself. It comes in a small, portable jar with a sifter and a soft powder puff on top. When I buy new powders, I always tear off just half of the sticker on the sifter - you can better control the amount of product to dispense out, and it doesn't get quite as messy. I tap out a tiny amount of powder into the lid and either use the powder puff or a fluffy brush to apply it all over my face.


REVIEW | Innisfree No-Sebum Mineral Powder

The powder is incredibly soft and finely milled - like flour - and you can barely feel it when you rub it between your fingers! Although the powder is white, it blends out to be translucent with just a slight brightening effect. The first thought I had after applying this on my face was how smooth and silky it made my skin feel. Wow. Definitely impressed. It doesn't settle into my fine lines, and I can even use it to set my under eyes - I just dip the pointy end of my damp BeautyBlender into the powder and dab dab dab.

After some trial and error, I discovered that instead of just using a fluffy brush and lightly dusting the powder all over, I get a much more long-lasting and shine-free result when I use the powder puff and push the powder into the skin. Not only can I visibly see the shine disappear right before my eyes, but I also get a shine-free T-zone for up to five hours before some dewiness starts to peek through. This, in my books, is a total win - I usually get shiny in just under two hours - and even afterwards, my skin just maintained a natural, dewy glow, with none of that gross, greasy nonsense.


Innisfree offers another version, the No-Sebum Blur Powder, that has a natural beige tint and a blurring effect that claims to smooth away pores and wrinkles, and would perhaps be a better choice for those of you desiring a bit more coverage but also a more natural, undetectable finish with no brightening effect. Once I'm done with this jar, I'm definitely considering getting the Blur Powder to compare the two.

REVIEW | Innisfree No-Sebum Mineral Powder
Swatched | Blended out

The only other product in my collection that I consider to be comparable would be my Soap and Glory One Heck of a Blot Super-Translucent Mattifying Powder that I hit pan on a looong time ago. It used to be a favorite of mine, but just got pushed to the back of my makeup bin as time went on. It comes in a pressed compact, and although I find the Innisfree powder to be more fine and silky in texture, both powders are similar enough in performance to be pretty much interchangeable in my routine - both have the same lasting and mattifying power, with the only difference being that the Innisfree version offers an illuminating quality, and Soap and Glory's pressed version is more convenient for touch-ups. It's currently priced at $16USD for 9g, which is more than double the price of the Innisfree powder but also almost double the amount. Innisfree also offers a pressed version of the no-sebum powder, the Innisfree No-Sebum Mineral Pact at $12USD for 8.5g, that would also be a great option for traveling or touch-ups.

At just$7USD, the Innisfree No-Sebum Mineral Powder is truly a great bang for your buck, and it would be a handy addition to any makeup collection, especially if you have oily skin and need that extra help with oil control. In this current humidity, I predict that I'll be running out of this powder very soon...

No comments:

Post a Comment